Tuesday, November 20, 2012

You Are What You Eat... Cleaning Out Your Pantry




May I Offer You A Drink To Start With?
Greeting, Din-HERs!!! Yes, yes, yes.... I know it has been a longgggggg while since my last post.
So much has changed in such a short matter of time, but trust me I still found time to dine around and stuff my face.
          

Bon Appetit!


Appetizer


  As you all know I started working out again over the summer, but the last 3 months I have made it a lifestyle...BIG difference! Before I was working out at LA Fitness 3 days a week and still eating what I wanted basically, minus bread, ice cream and rice.  I joined a crossfit training facility  (Mt Laurel, NJ)about 3 months ago and it has changed my life!  I am stronger, more balanced, leaner, dedicated, make healthier choices daily and I'm simply addicted to it...oh and I forgot, I got sexier too (how is that possible).

I won't go into everything like I'm some crossift fitness guru, but I will say crossfit and the paleo diet they abide by makes a big difference. Although I don't follow the diet exactly, I did learn that in order to be healthy and fit, it consist of 30% exercise and 70% of what you eat.  Trust me, I still like a good slab of  Sylivia's ribs, spanish rice, a watermelon martini and a cannoli or 3 every once in a blue, but there's such a major difference in how you feel and the energy you have when cut out the processed and junk foods that ultimately slow you down (physically and mentally) and adds on weight ...you truly become  
 WHAT YOU EAT! 

In saying all this, I have realized that same theory about life and the people you surround yourself with on a regular basis. You are the people you surround yourself with...





                                
Entree

Now, take a look at your circle of friends, phone contacts (ok ok, you can keep the plumber lol ; ) and people closest to you and ask yourself are they weighing you down and slowing you down?  The bigger question is, are YOU slowing your own self down with any baggage and clutter in your life?  If so, it is time to buck up and clean out your pantry of junk!!! 
That includes: the guy you THINK you can change, that one negative friend, your complaining ass colleague, grudges or A.W. syndrome issues (Angry Woman) etc... dispose of them (not Italian Mafia in the Hudson River like dispose of, but just stop dealing with them)!
 
A friend of mine who was going through something with an ex again said that he was going to take a break from everyone.  As much as we may think that works, it doesn’t.  Let's act like our age please!  The only person you need to take a break from/cut off is the one that is causing you pain and isn't adding any positive benefits to your life and future. To me it’s like, why stop yourself from enjoying life and why stop other GOoD people from adding to it all because of one idiot person? 
 
I don’t care how close you are, there are some people who will just drain the crap out of you and will Hurricane Sandy on your fancy Macy's Day parade in a NY minute.  You have to really surround yourself with like minded and supportive people.  Some people are simply disposable and very few are recyclable (after some time has passed).  Learn how to differentiate your family/friends, associates, colleagues etc. Everyone has their place and it’s your duty to make sure everyone is clear of their position.

 Although now I have a super fabulous circle of positive and productive friends, there were a few relationships I knew I had to handle and dispose of because they weren't benefiting me or adding to my overall well-being.  Example:  Years back I had to do clean out my pantry of some of the people closest to me because they were continuously in many ways casting a negative cloud of energy and tone in my life, especially during a time of losing a love one (RIP Jaylan Allen Johnson). I just stopped talking and removed myself.  People grow and change and those relationships are on a cordial basis now, but at the time that was one of the best decisions I made for ME and my future well-being.
 
 Real talk I'm almost 30 and I feel at this point in my life I don't have time to play nor the energy to exhaust on people or things whose goals, wants and values aren't the same as mine (mentally, spiritually and financially)As I learned from Pastor Barnes... you don't need to feel bad when you remove yourself from certain people and situations or tell people "no" at times, because while you're over there with the negative, you're missing your blessing by dealing with the foolery and playing Captain Save Em' for folks that don't want to be helped or lifted up

A special dish for my female readers: I also picked up a few extra lessons from my dear friend Mr. R. Martin, AT and cousin Lenny on how a woman is supposed to be treated and stand her ground. 
(I can imagine the female fb inbox msgs they're gonna get from this shout-out. You're welcome boys!!! lol)

Mr. Martin and I
were talking on the phone one night about life in general and he said two things that really hit home, gave me the extra confidence and sass to continue saying
"Get with it or get lost"
1. "Until that person is willing to open up and give you the things you're willing to give out...Hold every bit of you back or you will be empty"
2. "We don't have time to play dodge ball with people...next time they roll the ball, don't roll it back...keep it  in your possession, walk away and end the game" #boybye lol


Even with this magnified confidence and extra strut in my heels there is something sooooo extremely liberating, gratifying and freeing knowing that I control my temple, whose allowed in my life and that I control my path of continuing to become the person I want to be! With that said….to God be glorified!

 

Dessert
This is just a special thank you to my family...especially my Mom, Granpa, Auntie Rie, Tegan, Uncle Kirk, Dad, Lenny, Val, Nichole, Ericka, Eric, Trav, etc.   Thanks to my positive and crazy circle of  friends near and far... Kim, Bootsy, Rich, Chauncey, Sheena, AT, TerriAnn, Shawnie, Jason, TakIEA, Marissa, Alesia, Ashley, Steve, Mesh, Alex George, Jocelyn, Hector, Zara, Trevor, Evonna and Tai.

 a few pics of my positive inner circle (missing a few folks)


My Recent Philly Eats

Right Corner: Mexican Food Truck / Left Corner: Darling Diner
Right Bottom: Pietros Coal Oven (Italian)  / Left Bottom: Pattaya (Thai...my fav)
Grand Lux Cafe (Cherry Hill, NJ)
The Cheescake Factory's uppity and sleek sister chain

2 comments:

Terri said...

Absolutely loved this read!!!!

Unknown said...

This was definitely lovely and a good read while on lunch!....keep them coming and stay blessed!....I'm definitely inspired : -)

Past Din-Her Club Blogs...Catch Up

Translator - For Our International DinH(n)ERs