Monday, January 11, 2016

Fine Dining, but a Wings and Beer Kind of Girl

  
May I Offer You a Drink to Start With?

I have missed all of you so much! I can’t believe it’s been almost 3 years since my last blog post…ouch! One thing is for sure, Big Momma hasn't missed any meals or one beat.


I must admit I am feeling a bit rusty so please bear with me. Be kind because I'm an Artist and I am sensitive about my shhhh!# (Eryka Badu voice)


First, allow me to fast forward you all into my life as of January 2016.  I moved back to Connecticut from Philly…I know I know, booooooo, but it's home and God dragged me back so I'm just going to park it and have several seats.
 

                                                            I had a little girl Summer 2013!!!


She’s the joy of my life, my reason and also my pain in the butt.

Wait, let’s pause here on this whole motherhood journey. Ummm, why didn’t someone warn me about the aches, nausea and changes my body would endure, including that I now wear Shaquille O’Neal size 10 shoe! My baby is now 2 years old and I'm still trying to snap back. Like what metabolism?! I can't use the "I just had a baby" excuse anymore.





As I digress, now that she’s here, every day I am realizing that God truly has a sense of humor because she definitely acts just like me. Lord help us all!  When she's acting like a terror, I blame her Dad, but seriously, she’s super smart, creative, wise, funny and a boss just like me



                                                                
  (this pic pretty much sums us up)
                                                                                    



Appetizer




Next, I tapped into my love of cooking and started a business called Breakfast Belle. I create “southern style belly filling favorites” and serve Sunday Brunch from 10:30am-3pm  at Mac It - 8 Main St., Norwalk, CT 06851 ::Shameless plug::



The idea stemmed from my event management company Lady Fancy Events, LLC. Food can seriously make or break and event and living in the North in the elite and bougie area we called Fairfield County, there aren’t too many places that can reallllllllllly throw down southern style, so Big Momma is whipping up belly filling dishes such as, Chicken & Waffles, Fish & Grits, Salmon Cakes, Shrimp & Grits, Lobster Rolls and more!



This journey has absolutely been a wonderful experience, good and bad. I have learned so much about the food industry and more importantly myself throughout this grueling yet rewarding process.




Entrée
Carrie Bradshaw, Fine Dining

There are days I want to put on something nice, wear my MAC Ruby Woo lipstick and pretend like I’m in an episode of Sex in the City...the black version. In this case, I decided to visit one of favorites spots in my hometown...


                      SPREAD
    70 North Main Street, Norwalk, CT



In the heart of Downtown, Norwalk aka SONO, Spread serves a delicious menu of small to large plates including, watermelon salad, seared scallops, flank steak, octopus, brussel sprouts, kale salad, guacamole and more.


I love the fact their menu changes “upon the season and culinary curiosities.”


When you first walk in they clearly set the mood of fine dining mixed with a rustic, hip NYC SOHO feel. The vertical garden located in their main dining area immediately grabs your attention. The staff from the bartenders, waiters and host are friendly and super knowledgeable about the menu. You would think that they were the Chefs.


I no longer eat pork, but the first time I went I had the pork belly bites, flank steak and a cocktail called Tico Juice.


The food was amazing, but my cocktail really did it for me. Maybe I had a long day and need a libation, but this yummy mix of pyrat rum, grand marnier and  passion fruit is to die for.


Note: They also have an amazing happy hour menu during the week.


The tab for my Din-Her partner and I came to about $110 for 4 drinks, 2 appetizers, two entrees and a shared dessert.


 I frequent here and highly recommend this place.


Momma June from Honey Boo-boo, Wings and Beer Dining

I love fine establishments like The Spread, but when I want to throw on some jeans and sweatshirt, put my hair in a ponytail and catch a DUKE basketball game (yes, I’m a Blue Devil fan) and guarantee myself that the food will be great, I take the 25 minute drive to...

               
               DEW DROP INN
      25 North Avenue, Derby, CT



A good friend of mine introduced me to this place and I will admit when we first pulled up I felt like I was in Waco, TX. When you pull up there’s usually at least 5 motorcycles or more parked outside.


When you enter there’s a big guy at the door checking ID’s. The establishment is humble in size, but their food portions are anything but. They're famous for offering over 50 flavors of wings and a ton of craft beers. I love that they batter and fry their wings.  My personal favorite sauces are Honey BBQ, Wasabi, Parm Butter Bacon, Bayou and Mango Pineapple Habanero. They absolutely give Buffalo Wild Wings a total run for their money.


They also give Outback Steakhouse a run for their money. On Thursday nights they offer this perfectly, well seasoned rib-eye steak with their honey carrots and homemade mash potatoes. It literally took me 2 days to finish it all.


I don't have pictures, but their chili cheese curly fries are something 1/2 heaven and 1/2 unreal. They areeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee soooooooooooo gooooooooooood! I can't even begin to explain it, but they are must have!


The service is so/so, especially on a busy night, but overall I definitely recommend trying this spot.





Dessert
Next week's blog post will include one of my new favorite places to dine and also my favorite flavor ice cream, as I'll be relating to a juicy topic that many women can relate to.



Bon Appetit,

Chef Tori 

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed your Din-HER experience!

No comments:

Past Din-Her Club Blogs...Catch Up

Translator - For Our International DinH(n)ERs